HomeAbout MeThe BoutiquePast Treasures

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Nail Polish

What is it with little girls and nail polish? Is it part of our genes? Or, is it just me?

This raven beauty, my beloved mother, initiated me into the nail polish club at a very young age.  I think she would paint my nails so I'd quit nagging her every time she painted her own.

Back in the day, the colors were somewhat limited, compared to the array we can choose from today.

And so her choices were limited to a palette of reds.

Post War, Pre Children

Though not in color, and a little grainy, mama's nails are painted

I distinctly remember this oldie ~ Fifth Avenue Red.  It was a favorite of mom's, along with Revlon Red, Fire & Ice, Cherries in the Snow to name a few.  Later on, Persian Melon became a go-to, along with it's matching lipstick.


Revlon Red (new edition)


 


As a little one, I wasn't picky about color so long as I matched my mama's.  

I remember I had just turned 12 when these luscious colors hit the drugstore shelves, and I was smitten!


 I didn't have an allowance to support a purchase and there was no way I would be given permission to wear such "radical" colors.  As it was, I could only wear nail polish from Friday night to Saturday night, never to school and never to church!

In time, the dream of these luscious bottles sitting on my dressing table, arranged in a fan, like a peacock's feathers, faded away.  I never did buy them or try them.  They certainly weren't mom's cup of tea.

Perhaps I'm still chasing that dream because since the pandemic, I've gone back to doing my own nails.  I'm using a wonderful product that is "17-Free" and doesn't contain the 17 chemicals most likely to damage your nails or health.

My nails are thriving and I'm mastering the "salon look!"  I've put together a little collection which is creme, not frosted (as were the Bon Bons pictured above).  I'm still chasing after a perfect "pistachio green."

Do you wear nail polish?

Karen๐Ÿ๐Ÿ’›



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Inspired by my mom, I've been getting pedicures!
Periwinkle right now!